NIH launched the UNITE initiative in March of 2021 to address structural racism in the biomedical research enterprise. Through this initiative, NIH is holding a series of listening sessions to learn from external stakeholders about the full range of issues and challenges in advancing racial and ethnic equity in the biomedical research enterprise. Some of these issues include:
- Changing culture to promote equity, inclusivity, and justice
- Improving policies, transparency, and oversight
- Strengthening career pathways, training, mentoring, and the professoriate
- Ensuring fairness in review and funding deliberations
- Enhancing funding and research support for diverse institutions and historically under-resourced research areas
- Structural racism in the biomedical research enterprise
The insights shared during these listening sessions will help to identify priorities for UNITE and inform the development of an NIH action plan.
We recognize that we share common interest in these areas and hope you will join us in these discussions. We look forward to working with you to learn more about efforts at your organization and your unique perspectives as we seek to advance these goals across the biomedical research enterprise.
Please usetheschedule of listening sessions below to find a session that best aligns with your affiliation.
Listening Session – Nonprofit Organizations (NPOs), Community-Based Organizations (CBOs), Advocacy Organizations
January 18, 2022 | 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET
Listening Session – Students and Trainees
January 26, 2022 | 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET
Listening Session – Research Staff (Assistants, Associates, Technicians)
January 27, 2022 | 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. ET
Listening Session – Colleges and Universities
February 1, 2022 | 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. ET