International Travel

Federal export and sanctions regulations prohibit the unlicensed export of specific commodities, software, technology and payments to or from certain countries, entities and individuals for reasons of national security, foreign policy or protection of trade. University employees are required to comply with United States export and sanctions regulations when traveling abroad with commodities, software, and technology.

The Office of Export Controls can assist with export and sanction determinations related to your international travel. You will find helpful information below concerning international travel procedures and best practices to ensure compliance with these federal regulations. If you have any questions pertaining to international travel not covered on this page, please contact the Export Control Officer. 

Christine Ahearn JD

Director of Regulatory Compliance

To ensure there are no export controls issues we will screen your trip!

The University of Colorado Denver|Anschutz Medical Campus uses an online software system from Visual Compliance to screen countries as well as people/institutions you plan to visit to ensure the country or those parties are restricted by the U.S. Government. This system provides the traveler with confidence in complying with U.S. export control regulations.

Presentations and discussions must be limited to topics that are not related to controlled commodities, software, or technology unless that information is already published or otherwise already in the public domain.

Verify that your technology or information falls into one or more of the following categories prior to traveling:

  • Research which qualifies as fundamental research
  • Published information
  • Publicly available software
  • Educational information

Do not take any commodities, software, or technology that fall into one of the following categories:

  • Classified, Controlled Unclassified, or Export Controlled
  • Limited Distribution, Proprietary, Confidential, or Sensitive
  • Specifically designed for military, intelligence, space, encryption software, or nuclear related applications
  • Data or information received under a Non-Disclosure Agreement
  • Data or information that results from a project with contractual constraints on the dissemination of the research results
  • Computer software received with restrictions on export to or on access by non-US Persons

When certain university property, such as such as commodities, software, and technology (hereafter called items) are taken outside the United States, the property may be subject to export licensing under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) or regulations by other government agencies. Items such as laptops, tablets, cell phones and PDA’s containing commercial software, may be temporarily exported as "tools of trade" under the export license exception Temporary Export Certification, or TMP. "Tools of Trade" can be simply defined as items that are used for university business, conferences, trade shows, etc. The TMP exception applies only to university property. As a best practice, please complete the Temporary Export (TMP) Certification form below, and list all university items you plan to export temporarily. The completed form should accompany you on your trip.

Temporary Export (TMP) Certification form.

NOTE: This TMP Certification does not apply to equipment, components, technical data or software specifically designed for military, space or intelligence applications, or that is otherwise controlled under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). If equipment falls in the category, please contact the Export Control Officer.

For help with ensuring your computer is secure contract the CU Denver Office of Information Technology Security and Compliance Team,‚Äč
CMS Login