Facility Access and Visitor Policy
Badge Access to the Vivaria requires IACUC approval. For complete information on the approval process please visit the IACUC web page
Access may be granted by approval from the OLAR Director or their designee. Requests must be made 2 business days in advance. Contact OLAR for approval.
The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) maintains oversight review for federally mandated rules and regulations with regard to animal research, ethics, misconduct and biomedical research for the University of Colorado Denver (UC Denver). Office of Laboratory Animal Resources (OLAR) is responsible for the health and well-being of the animals used in research at all University of Colorado Denver vivarium.
To ensure that the research enterprise at the University of Colorado Denver is protected, the exposure of animals to adventitious pathogens is minimized, all IACUC and OLAR policies and procedures are followed and everyone is informed of the risks involved when entering an animal facility, visitors to animal facilities are prohibited, unless prior written approval by the Director of OLAR or their designee is given. In the case of a satellite facility, the Director of the Satellite facility is given this authority. Approvals will be given for educational purposes. The visitor is escorted at all times by an individual with badge access (as defined in this policy) to the vivarium or satellite facility they are entering.
- All individuals that do not have access to the vivarium/satellite that they are trying to enter are
considered visitors to the facility, including UC Denver employees.
- All visitors must be approved in writing, at least 2 business days in advance, by the Director of
OLAR or their designee. In the case of satellite facilities, the Director of the Satellite Facility must
approve all visitors.
- All Visitors must be escorted at all times by a UC Denver employee with access to the
vivarium/satellite that they are entering. The UC Denver employee will be deemed by UC Denver to
be responsible for the visitor’s actions.
- Visitors must sign the Visitor Release Sign-In Form located in the administration office or entrance
to the satellite prior to entering the vivarium/satellite and receive a visitor badge each day they will
- Visitors must wear the visitor badge during the entire time that they are in the vivarium/satellite and
return it prior to leaving.
- All visitors must understand that there are inherent risks to entering an animal facility including
animal bites, scratches, allergic responses, and risk of injury from equipment.
- All visitors must understand that the possibility exists of exposure to pathogens that are infectious
to humans (zoonoses exposure). It is recommended that visitors are healthy prior to entry,
including no signs of upper respiratory tract infections, influenza, or step. Visitors should be
enrolled in an occupational health program at their originating institution.
- Visitors to the Perinatal Research Facility (PRF) are required to have a current respirator fit
test or wear a PAPR while in the restricted areas of the facility.
- Visitors are not permitted to handle animals unless they have been named on all pertinent UC
Denver IACUC-approved protocols and they have read and understood those protocols. Visitors
that will handle animals must also have an approved, current Personal Qualifications Description on
file in the IACUC for all procedures that they will perform on these protocols.
Subject: Vivarium Visitors
Source: Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Office of
Laboratory Animal Resources (OLAR)
Effective Date: 8/1/2010
Applies to: All individuals without badge access to a Vivarium on the University of
Colorado Denver campuses.
Reference: Animal Welfare Act; PHS Policy on Humane Care & Use of Laboratory
Animals; Guide for the Care & Use of Laboratory Animals
- Visitors are not permitted to photograph, video or audiotape in the vivarium without prior written
approval of the Director of OLAR, or their designee. In the case of satellite facilities, the Director of
the Satellite Facility will grant the approval.
- Minors (under the age of 18) are only permitted to enter if they are part of an approved UC Denver
educational program and have submitted all required documentation.
o Minors are prohibited from entering the PRF facility at any time.
- Visitors are only permitted if they are entering for educational reasons.
- Failure to follow this policy will result in the visitor being immediately escorted out of the OLAR
vivarium or satellite facility and may result in the visitor being removed from UC Denver property.
Corrective action may also be taken regarding the UC Denver employee who escorted the visitor
into the OLAR vivarium or satellite facility, including the revocation of facility access. The Director of
OLAR, or in the case of the satellite facility, the Director of the satellite facility, has the authority to
make the short term decision on revoking access to the vivarium for the UC Denver employee
violating this policy. Long term access decisions will be made through the IACUC. Human
resources and the individual’s supervisor will be involved in any disciplinary action of the employee.